Thursday, November 15, 2012

Finding the humor, I guess

Happy impending holidays, everyone!  Over here it's like revise/prepare/revise/prepare/revise/prepare/revise.  I think that'll actually help keep me on track, though.  When I go to my parents' house for the holidays, it's very hard for me to find a block of time to sit down and write anything new.  There are too many distractions.  But revising!  Revising is much easier.  The words are there, more or less, and they just need to be fixed.  There's less of a chance of losing a great idea mid-chaos because the underlying material is already in place. 

This is part of the reason I've always been a bit baffled by the timing of NaNoWriMo.  November is when things start to pick up!  It seems like it would be a lot more manageable if it were in January or February, in the dead of winter after holiday excitement has slowed down.  That's why for me, November and December are generally NaNoRevMo--it's just more productive? 

Anybody else experience this, or want to give me some insight into why November is the perfect time to write 50,000 words?


Speaking of revisions, every once in a while I'm running across some real gems from my beta.  I'll be very seriously pondering how to write myself out of a dilemma, and bam! find some witty or funny or good-naturedly snarky comment.  Here are a few of my favorites:

In response to a character saying "We weren't born this way.":  "Lady Gaga thinks otherwise."

In response to a very blunt question posed by one character to another: "LOL REALLY? You're just going to ask this question."

In response to one character standing over the bed of another:  "Creeeeeeeper!"
(To be fair, she totally was being a creeper.)

In response to one character telling another "Good job":  "You get a cookie."

In response to a character wondering what could scare some guys who are already pretty scary:  "Who watches the Watchmen?"


These little moments of levity give me life.

2 comments:

Kris Atkins said...

Your beta sounds awesome.

Also, I'm alive.

Also also, DUDE, WHY IS NANOWRIMO IN NOVEMBER? I have wondered the same thing for years.

Kristin Laughtin said...

Hey Kris! Good to hear from you again! I hope you and the baby are well!

Sometimes she is awesome. Sometimes I side-eye a few of her notes and sometimes I want to strangle her (or myself), but overall she's really helpful because she probably finds 99% of the technical things that can be criticized.

Move NaNo to March!